Refugee Camp at Eckenforderchausee, Kiel. 7.10.46.
830 Refugees, living in wooden huts.
3 people were asked what they had had to eat that day:-
(1) 2 pieces of bread and a little jam, and tea far breakfast. 1 litre of gruel (a mixture of skimmed milk & full milk with oats, which had no sugar was quite tasteless), at mid-day.
At night there would be 2 slices of bread & jam & tea.
(2) 1 slice of bread (no tea, only hot water) for breakfast.
1 litre of gruel at mid-day
1 piece of bread with jam at night.
This woman had a small child & accounted for her small quantity of bread by saying she gave some of hers to her child.)
(3) 2 pieces of bread, a little jam & tea for breakfast.
1 litre of gruel at mid-day.
2 pieces of bread at night.
All complained of the cold. Each refugee had 2 blankets. It was said that there were 200 children without shoes, but only one was seen with no footwear at all. Many of the others had wooden shoes, often in bad repair and many more, slippers or sandals.
30 people were suffering from blisters on the hand from having gathered some leaves. These were being treated in the first-aid room, one child was seen with blepharitis (inflammation of the eyes) and had been treated. Several had impetigo and many more bore the marks of a recent infection.
1 family was isolated in 2 rooms as one child of two had T.B. it was said that at present there was no room in the hospital. The camp records showed that there were 8-10 cases of active T.B. (all children), 5% of the child population of 280.
The Dr. comes to the camp 3 times a week. Cases are X Rayed but there are no sputum tests.
Several people were asked the circumstances of leaving their homes:-
(1) Woman whose husband is missing has been in the camp since May 16th, having been evicted on May 9th. from Schiffelen in Pomerania. She was given half an hour in which to leave and her parents of 76-78 were left behind.
(2) Woman of 60 with her husband, daughter, & three children of 7,8 and 2. Inkeepers in Krone, Pomerania. Evicted on the 21st. January, allowed to go back and then again on 3rd. May given 10 minutes to go. Did not have time to dress properly and left all warm clothing behind.