Scottish Trades Union Congress General Council.
33 ELMBANK CRESCENT
Glasgow. July 8th. 1938.
WILLIAM ELGER, J.P.
Phone: Central 3179.
Mr. H.V. Tewson,
The Trades Union Congress,
Dear Mr. Tewson,
Edinburgh and Glasgow Joint Committee
Scottish Trades Councils' Food Ship for Spain
We had a meeting this morning with representatives of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Joint Committee dealing with the above during which meeting the representatives agreed upon the following procedure ---
(1) The question of sending munitions to Spain has been dropped and will not arise again unless in consultation with the S.T.U.C.
(2) That the collection of parcels of food stuffs will be discouraged.
(3) That when large donations of food supplies are sought from Co-operative Societies and the multiple stores it will be on the understanding that goods to the value of a guaranteed sum will be forwarded when the total consignment for Spain is ready.
(4) That the Joint Committee will concentrate chiefly upon the collection of money with the object of attempting to raise £10,000.
(5) That in the event of sufficient money being collected for a food ship the effort will be credited to the National Council of Labour Fund but in the event of sufficient money not being realised the amount obtained will be sent to the N.C.L. Fund for disposal in the ordinary way.
(5) That those promoting the effort agree that if sufficient money is realised in Scotland for a food/