September 30th, 1937.
ALTERNATIVES BEFORE THE COMMITTEE tomorrow.
1. NOT TO RECOGNISE FATHER GABANA.
1. He represents the Holy See and not officially the Insurgent authorities.
2. If he claims recognition by our Foreign Office and therefore recognition by this Committee must follow:-
We question the right of the F.O. in recognising him in view of its numberous announcements in the press that H.M. Government would not allow propaganda on either side and yet we know that Father Gabana has been acting as his agent over here.
3. These two facts combined make him a political agent and therefore suspect from every point of view.
2. IF WE ACCEPT FATHER GABANA AND ARE PREPARED TO NEGOTIATE WITH HIM.
Call in question the consitutional position in regard to this meeting.
? As a result, allow discussion but no vote. Committee is then free to discuss possible compromises:-
In order to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998, some names within this file have been redacted. While we have made every effort to comply with the Act, there may be other named individuals within this file who are still living. We will remove any names immediately we are made aware that this is the case or if any offence is caused to living relatives.